Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

Jan 18, 2010

Ozark Trip Initial Planning

I've got my route finalized, and it's a good one.  Just shy of 100 miles, so on one of my shorter days I'm going to take a spur so I can get to 100.

I went through food that I have left over from the last years hiking season, and I'll use up everything I have left and only have to buy a few odds and ends.  That's great news!  I'm going to go with a similar meal format as I did with the Turkey Day '09 trip (with the exception of a huge Turkey Day Meal!).  For dinner's I'm going to have Mtn House two nights and Lipton Pasta & Sauce the other five nights.  Breakfast will be a couple of packs of oatmeal and lunch will be bars, jerky and trail mix.

I'm packing now and this is where I'm in trouble.  I'm debating if I want to go with my tent, bivy or fast fly tent.  My first instinct was to go with the fast fly, but after doing some research, it turns out that there are SIX venomous snakes found in the area I'm hiking in.  Yep, six.  The snakes are not active this time of the year, but with the warmer weather (it's in the 50s/60s right now) they might be out.  So I've got to decide between Bivy and Tent, and I'll probably sacrifice comfort and go with the bivy on this one.

Clothing and sleeping bags is where I'm really struggling.  The guide book that I have says that January lows are in the 20s and 30s, and sometimes get as cold as 0.  The forecast online only goes until Sunday, and the lowest it gets is the upper 20s.  The highs go anywhere from 60 to the mid 40s.  My fear is that the temps are going down throughout the forecast, and I'm not sure if they will keep going down after Sunday or go back up.  So I have to make some choices with which sleeping bag to bring and what I'm bringing for clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment