Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

Jan 19, 2010

Ozark Planning Update

I've had to change the trip around yet again, as I have a new commitment for Thursday.  The commitment will keep me off the trail on Thursday, but will not keep me from leaving Wednesday (if that makes any sense).

I'm leaving at 5am Wednesday morning, which should make me early for morning rush hour in the Twin Cities and early for evening rush hour in Kansas City.  Those are the only two areas I was really concerned with.  I'll arrive in Little Rock Arkansas sometime around 7:00pm.  I'm going to find some cheap hotel off the Interstate to crash at.  Thursday I'm going to the Clinton library and have this commitment thing to do.  Then Thursday evening I'll head out to the trailhead.

The trailhead has a campground at it that I will stay at the first night.  From there I've budgeted out around 15 miles a day, three days in and three days back out.  There are a couple of different spur trails that I'll be taking to mix it up a bit on the way back.  My last day hiking (Wednesday) is a full day, so I will either stay at the campground again or come part of the way home.

I just finished up my food, I've got six lunches and suppers and seven breakfasts.  My food weight (including food sack) comes in at 144.8 oz, or a little more than two pounds a day.  That's pretty typical for me when backpacking.

The weather forecast has changed a bit since I last looked and it's looking good.

Thurs 67/43 20% chance of rain
Fri 65/45
Sat 63/45 50% chance of rain
Sun 59/35
Mon highs in the upper 40s

The last few days of my trip aren't forecasted yet, but I'm loving what I see!  I'm struggling now with what I'm bringing gear wise, because if the posted temps stay I can go pretty light, but if that cold frot coming in on Monday keeps getting colder, I may want some warmer gear...

No comments:

Post a Comment