Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

Apr 1, 2009

Thru Hike Prep

So I am midway through planning my route on my thruhike. So far my longest day is about 25 miles and the shortest day is 17.

I'm considering my options regarding food, and I think I will be bringing dehydrated dinners along. I didn't want to bring my stove, but with the number of days I'll be out, I think I will save both weight and space by bringing it. My pocket rocket with pot weighs around 22 oz.

I'm in the best physical shape I've ever been on, but I still want to get some practicing in. I haven't hiked a 20 mile day since last July and then it was only back-to-back 20 mile days instead of back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to...you get the idea.

The next three weekends are taken up by Scouting commitments. As a result I'm looking to do a 10 mile day trip this Sunday and a 20 mile day trip next Sunday. If anyone is interested, let me know.

I'm going to head up to the trail twice before I begin. I plan on doing two 10-15 mile days over the weekend of 24-26. I'm thinking somewhere near Goosberry Falls. Sarge will be with on that trip and anyone else is welcome to come too.

My last "tune up" will be May 8-10. I'll be hiking near Finland, so I can scout out the area that was hit worst by the storm. Hopefully it'll be cleaned up by then, but if not it will give me a chance to plan an alternate route through that area if necessary. I'd like to get 42 miles in that weekend. 42 in 2 is too much for Sarge, so it'll just be me and anyone that would like to tag along.

I'm going to be considering my food options...let me know any ideas...I'm going to stay away from freeze dried because 1. The single servings are too much for me to eat 2. Too much packaging 3. Price!. Anyway, ideas are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment