Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

Jul 20, 2008

Food Journal

I just got back from a weekend trip to the Superior Hiking Trial. It was about a 30 mile weekend. I wrote a journal on the trip, so at some point in the future it will be posted here. In the meantime, here is my food journal that I just completed:

Friday Supper
· Two flour tortillas
· Two Spam Lite Singles
· Two packets Miracle Whip
· 4oz M&Ms
· 1 Propel

Saturday Breakfast
· Granola & Dried Fruit Bag

Saturday Lunch
· Little less than 3.65 oz of Beef Jerky
· 4oz Peanut M&Ms
· Three Cliff Bars

Saturday Supper
· Two flour tortillas
· Two Tuna Singles
· Two packets Miracle Whip
· 2 Propel

Sunday Breakfast
· Granola & Dried Fruit (did not finish)

Sunday Lunch (left the trail at 2:00, would have eaten more had I stayed on trail)
· 2 Cliff Bars
· 4oz Peanut M&Ms (less 7 peanut M&Ms)
· Remainder of the Beef Jerky

NOTES:
· Cannot stand to eat the granola anymore, I never liked it much to begin with. For next trip I will try peanut butter & jelly wraps with dried fruit. For peanut butter & Jelly I will use the little containers that they have at restaurants for toast.
· I’m happy with the wraps for dinner. I’m going to branch out and try ham and salmon. I am also going to try to find a way to add cheese (do they make cheese that comes in the little containers?) and see if there are any options for vegetables.

UPDATE: wildernessdining.com has peanut butter & Jelly as well as jalapeƱo or cheddar cheese spread in the little McDonalds ketchup like pouches. According to the reviews these items are staples at Philmont and are hugely popular. The catch is the price, $1.25 for the peanut butter & jelly and $0.95 for the cheese packet. For a weekend trip, this would add $6.30 to my food cost; it seems like a lot considering I get free mayo packets from the grocery store just down the road. I’m going to keep looking, but at least I know it’s out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment