Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

Feb 12, 2010

The Evolution of a Cook Set

I've spent the last few days perfecting my alcohol stove (or rather building through trial and error a version of Chad's stove) and rethinking my approach for pots and water bottles. Now that I've got a good stove, pot and water bottle solution I thought I'd take a moment to walk through the evolution of my cook set.

All weights include actual fuel brought on a 4-5 day trip and empty water bottles.

"Traditional" Approach


Way back before I started my ultralight quest my cook set consisted of:
  • MSR Whisper Lite Stove (with bag)
  • 22 oz MSR Fuel Bottle
  • 1,000 mL Nalgene bottle
  • Measuring Cup
  • Mug
  • Spork
  • Bowl
  • MSR Pot (with bag)
All of this weighed in at 66.7 ounces or 4.17lbs.

Ultralight


As documented in this blog, over the last couple years I have been transitioning to an ultralight style of backpacking. My original goal was to get my base weight down to 12 pounds.

I traded out my stove, mug, spork, and pot for lighter options. I quit carrying a Nalgene bottle and started carrying a Gatorade bottle. With the new "tea kettle" style pot, I was able to leave out the measuring cup altogether. My new cook set consisted of:
  • MSR Pocket Rocket
  • MSR Fuel Canister
  • Titanium Mug
  • Titanium Spork
  • Gatorade Bottle
  • Tea Kettle
The new cook set weighed in at 21.6 oz or 1.35 pounds. A reduction in weight of 45.1 ounces or 2.82 pounds.

The Super-Ultralight Quest


I was able to surpass my 12 pound goal and spent most of 2009 with a ten pound base weight for warm weather trips. My new goal, for '010, is to join the "Super-Ultralight Club" with a base pack weight of seven pounds.

My MSR Pocket Rocket has been replaced with a homemade alcohol stove and I combined the pot and water bottle. The new cook set consists of:
  • Homemade alcohol stove
  • Titanium Spork
  • Pot/Water Bottle (Snake Eyes Can)
  • 3 oz Listerine Bottle filled with fuel
The new kit weighs in at 5.4 ounces; 61.3 ounces less than my original cook set and 16.2 ounces less than my ultralight cook set.

Here's the kicker, the Super Ultralight Cook Set cost me less than $15, about half of which was for the spork.

No comments:

Post a Comment