Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

May 14, 2008

The 12lb Challenge: Sleeping

This is the first in a several part series (unless I get bored with it) as I weigh up my gear and begin the change from traditional backpacking to ultralight backpacking. Fortunately, I have been steadily upgrading my gear over the past couple of years, so I should be able to make the transition without spending much money.

I'll be packing for the Memorial Day at the Superior Hiking Trail Trip, with a goal base weight of 12 lbs (192 oz)

Here's what I have to choose from for my sleeping system.

ITEM OZ
3-Season Bag Stuff Sack 2.1
E-Blanket 2.2
3-Season Waterproof Sack 3.5
Winter Bag Stuff Sack 6.2
Down Pillow 8.4
3/4 Ridge Rest 9.4
Bag Liner 11.6
Full Ridge Rest 13.3
Thermarest 21.1
3-Season Down Bag 31.1
Winter Down Bag 68.5

Gone are the days of the nice down pillow, Thermarest and bag liners. And definitely gone are the days of the Thermarest on top of the Ridge Rest (how comfortable!). First pass, I'll be taking:
3-Season Bag Stuff Sack 2.1
3/4 Ridge Rest 9.4
3-Season Down Bag 31.1

I've got two options for cutting more weight if needed:
  1. I could leave the Ridge Rest out all together, but I don't see that happening. What I would do is cut it down from a 3/4 mat to a 1/2 mat. We'll wait and see if that's necessary though. Weight savings are unknown.
  2. I could substitute my 3-season sleeping bag with a combination of my sleeping bag liner and emergency blanket for a savings of 19.4 ounces. That's a pretty big savings, so I might try testing that out before the expedition to see if I stay warm. Regardless, this will be a great summer weight savings option. Even if I have to pack a set of wicking clothes to help stay warm, I'll be saving weight.
To Recap:
Sleeping System Total Weight: 42.6
Total Weight So Far: 42.6 (22%)
Remaining Weight: 149.4

No comments:

Post a Comment