Together Everyone Achieves More


Blog       Trip Reports       Timeline       Bios       Galleries       Trail Register

May 6, 2008

The 12 Pound Challenge

THE CHALLENGE

A couple Team 42 members recently had an opportunity to talk with a backpacker that would put anyone on the Team to shame. The backpacker is a LNT Master that has hiked thousands of miles all over the continent. The backpacker took a 12 pound pack (before food and water) on a week long summer trip at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.

That was a challenge I couldn't pass up.

THE PREMISE

I'm taking the wife on a short backpacking trip this weekend on the Superior Hiking Trail. The lows in the area are still in the 30s, which means more clothing will need to be brought than on a summer trip, already putting me at a disadvantage. Regardless, I'll see what I can do with 12 pounds being the goal.

THE ASSUMPTIONS

I'm going to be wearing my zip-offs, a t-shirt, boxer briefs, hiking socks and hiking boots while I'm backpacking, so that weight won't be in my pack, so that weight doesn't count. Also my poles will always be in my hands, so they do not count either. For the purpose of this exercise, I will assume I only have my map in my pockets. Everything else will be in the pack.

Finally, I'm traveling in a group, just like the LNT Master was, so I will be dividing up some gear, just as he did. Group gear will be distributed as evenly as possible, with me taking on any extra ounces (since I am going with my wife). A disadvantage for me is that group gear doesn't always increase with the number of people going, so there's less people to spread the weight around to.

My only advantage is that I'm only going for two days instead of a week. It's not a huge advantage though as most of the items I'm bringing would be sufficient for a week long trip. The biggest advantage would be in reduced food weight. However, food is not included in the challenge.

With that, lets get to it...

CASUALTIES

Things are going to have to be left behind. Things that I like. The following items will be remaining at Team 42 Headquarters:
Down Pillow
Ridge Rest
Saw
Camp Shoes
Sleeping Bag Liner
Nalgene Bottles
Coffee Mug
Tent Footprint
Pocket Knife
Top Compartment of my Backpack

GROUP GEAR

The tent with footprint, stakes and pump are 6.2lbs. Not going to happen. I'll be bringing the tent and pump for a total of 4.8lbs.

The Wife will be carrying the stove, water purifier, spare batteries, stove fuel, tent stakes, pot and measuring cup for a total of 4.6lbs.

PERSONAL GEAR

Sleeping bag and Thermarest, 3lbs.
Winter hat, liner gloves, downtown jacket, 1.8lbs.
Clothing (hiking socks, liner socks, long wicking shirt and pants, boxer briefs, fleece), 3.6lbs.
"Essentials" (bowl, spork, soap, empty Gatorade bottle, 50' rope, camera, tripod, clock, sunscreen, multi-tool, lipsaver, hand sanitation, magnesium fire starter, toothbrush, toothpaste, emergency blanket, headlamp, matches, toilet paper, first aid kit, compass, pack towel) 3.2lbs

I didn't think it was much, but now that I type it out, there's a lot there!

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH

I haven't added up each item yet and I don't want to. I have no idea what my pack by itself weighs, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm not even going to venture a guess. I know it's got to be more than 12lbs. So with that, on the scale with everything.

And...I am defeated! 23 pounds! How on earth am I going cut nearly half my weight?



ADDITION: In case you were wondering (as I was after the fact) the pack by itself weighs 4.4lbs. That's without the top compartment. The only other way to cut weight from the pack itself would be to remove some of the clasps that are on it.

2 comments:

  1. 192 oz club

    39 oz (20.3125%) bivi
    74 oz (38.5417%) sleeping bag 20F
    19 oz (9.89584%) h2o filter
    14.3oz (7.447917%) stove
    9 oz (4.6875%) pot
    .5 oz (.260427%) spoon
    19 oz (9.89584%) soft shell fleece jacket
    5.5oz (2.864584% wicking Bottoms
    5.7oz (2.96875%) wicking top
    3oz (1.5625%) socks
    1oz (.52084%) headlamp

    190oz (98.8%) Total

    this list does not include backpack, water bottle, stove fuel, matches, rain pants, down town and tooth brush/paste and obviously water and food.

    The other items that will be on my person (hat, gloves, camera, letherman, and lighter).

    hopefully i will be able to fit all of these items into my day pack. i will have to test this when i get home.

    Clothing will adjusted according to the forecasted temperature.

    ReplyDelete